The Orbit

The Student News Site of Reading Memorial High School

The Orbit

The Orbit

Polls

Which statement best describes your feelings about the return of midyear exams?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

#1 Ranked Field Hockey Team Begins Tournament Play

Game 1 November 4 at 2:00
Members of the field hockey team gather for a huddle before a recent game.

With the regular season completed, RMHS’s varsity field hockey team looks to continue their domination and make a run at the state championship in the Division II bracket of the MIAA state tournament.  They begin with a game against Malden at 2:00 on Hollingsworth Field.

With a current 17-1 record, the team has stayed on a similar track compared to last year’s almost undefeated record, where they only fell short before the final four. The team’s undeniable accomplishment this season is no different than past years, succeeding consistently since Taylor Reynolds joined as head coach in 2017. 

Starting member of the team, Gabby Sabatino (’24), stated, “The success of the team has been dependent on the youth programs, as a majority of the team members attended when they were younger, which they credit much of their success to.”

The official Reading Youth Field Hockey website reads, “Our goal is to introduce field hockey to players in grades 3-8. No matter what grade the player is in when they join our program or what skill level the player has, everyone is welcome.” The program’s ambition to foster all abilities and ages has led to the extreme impact of the organization as it continues to grow and help improve eager Reading youth.

Team Captain Natalie Wall credits the intense diamond in the midfield section as a critical factor in dominating the field. Liana Sullivan (’24) said, “It allows for a beautiful play to occur. The formation is a significant aspect in out maneuvering the other team which can make or break a game.”

Seniors on this year’s #1 ranked field hockey team.

Besides specific formations, another revealing factor that contributes to the successful season is trust. All varsity members emphasized the importance of trust, on and off the field. Sabatino (’24) stated, “We rise and fall together. We win and lose as one.” The team’s unity is a crucial aspect in how successful the program has become, as it unites the team to play as one.

Wall (’24) emphasized the strong relationship the team has created over the past four years, as she has been on the Varsity team since Freshman year. “We’re seniors now, but a majority of us have been on the team since Freshman or Sophomore year. We’ve been lucky enough to grow and learn these past four years together, as a team.”

The team hopes that as they transition into the playoffs, they will see more of a crowd at their games, as fan support could go a long way towards helping this accomplished team become the last school standing on the DII bracket.