The Orbit

The Student News Site of Reading Memorial High School

The Orbit

The Orbit

Polls

Which statement best describes your feelings about the return of midyear exams?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Lakin Preps for Title Game, College Career

Senior will play and study at WPI
Field hockey goalie Myles Lakin anchors the Rocket defense.

While the RMHS field hockey team is preparing for its appearance in the MIAA Division II state title game, RMHS senior and field hockey captain, Myles Lakin has already committed to continue his academic and athletic career at WPI next year. 

Lakin is captain of the RMHS field hockey team, and has been starting at goalie since his sophomore year. Varsity head field hockey coach, Taylor Reynolds, who has been in the position all four years of Lakin’s high school career stated, “I’ve seen Myles grow from really young to now a senior, and it’s just awesome to see the progression and the dedication–and now him as a captain going on to play in college is just exciting for a coach–it’s a proud moment.” Reynolds commented on Lakin’s leadership. “Myles is a silent leader. I don’t mean quiet like doesn’t talk but a leader by example.”

The RMHS field hockey team has had much success this season. Lakin is said to have played a big role in this success. “Myles anchors us in the backfield,” said Reynolds. Captain Natalie Wall (’24) explained, “Myles is always really communicative on the field.” She also added, “He helps us out on the field but brings the energy off the field as well.”

…it’s just awesome to see the progression and the dedication–and now him as a captain going on to play in college is just exciting for a coach…

— Coach Taylor Reynolds

Lakin had fifteen shutouts this regular season. He wasn’t always a goalie, though. When Lakin started field hockey in the third grade he was a field player, and played field for four years. Lakin said, “In 7th grade I switched to being a goalie, I actually tried it a year before and absolutely hated it.” A few months later, his club team was looking for a goalie so he stepped up to give it another try. “And then I loved it,” he said.

Lakin shared some advice for those who are thinking about becoming a goalie. “Just kind of stick with it–cause like I said earlie–I didn’t like it at first because it felt like a lot of pressure.” He added, “And knowing that it’s not solely your fault if a goal goes in because that’s something I struggle with a lot.”

On Thursday, September 28, 2023 the Rockets beat Winchester 1-0. Lakin recalled this as one of his favorite field hockey memories. “Beating Winchester this year was surreal because we’ve been trying for the past two years to beat them.” 

Lakin commented on what he is most looking forward to at WPI: “Honestly just playing at a higher level and growing my skills and playing ability and being able to think at that higher hockey IQ.” Lakin officially committed to WPI in April 2023. Off the field, he is looking to continue down a path of biomedical engineering. 

Worcester Polytechnic Institute is a private research university located about an hour away from Reading, MA in Worcester MA. WPI is home to 20 varsity teams in the NCAA Division III. The field hockey team is led by head coach Kim Cosenza. This current season is Cosenza’s third season coaching at WPI. 

The Rockets wrapped up their regular season on October 26, 2023, and at time of publication are preparing for the MIAA Division II state championship final game.