The Orbit

The Student News Site of Reading Memorial High School

The Orbit

The Orbit

Polls

Which statement best describes your feelings about the return of midyear exams?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Josh Robichaud Is Just Getting Started

Two-time All Star Looking Towards College
Senior Josh Robichaud is a Rocket lineman with aspirations to play in college.

It’s hard to miss this absolute specimen of a football player as he makes his way down the halls of Reading Memorial High School. 

Senior Josh Robichaud is an offensive and defensive lineman for the RMHS varsity football team and has been a starter since returning from Austin Prep last year.  The Middlesex League All-Star is a strong force that dominates both sides of the ball and is looking to play college football after graduation.  Robichaud is most known for his “pancakes,” flattening his opponents with ease.

Before RMHS

Robichaud began his journey playing for Reading Pop Warner. Before transferring to RMHS, Robichaud was a starter on the Austin Prep football team from eighth grade to sophomore year. When asked about his decision to attend Austin Prep over public school he said, “My family felt it was best for me to go to a private school because we both wanted the best fit for me and it felt right.” However, Robichaud missed playing with the kids he grew up with and made the tough decision to transfer to RMHS for junior year.

I’m just looking to be a successful human being in the future.

— Josh Robichaud ('24)

Middlesex league Dominance 

As soon as Robichaud joined the summer workouts, everyone on the team RMHS varsity squad knew that he would be a star player. The roster boasted a strong senior class with standouts like James Murphy, who is now playing for Harvard University. But Robichaud earned a spot as a starting lineman and excelled. “During my first season we had a great team and we won the Middlesex League and won a pair of games in the state tournament eventually falling to Bishop Feehan. But I had the honor of being a Middlesex League All-Star.” 

Robichaud entered his senior season with high expectations for himself as co-captain alongside teammates Andrew Jackvony (’24) and Sean Crowley (’24). Senior co-captain Crowley highlighted Robichaud’s strengths on the field saying, “It was definitely how strong he was. He towered over kids and really helped our run game throughout the season causing blocks and holes for the running back.” Many experienced players graduated and the team felt their absence as they struggled throughout the season. However, Robichaud still had a phenomenal showing at lineman, earning his second Middlesex League All-Star title.  He demonstrated his leadership both on and off the field and was a positive role model for the younger players. Sophomore Brady Comenos said, “In practice every day, Josh inspired everyone to keep working hard even though it was a rough season and to never give up on themselves or the team.”

He is an incredibly strong athlete and is a reliable teammate who can be counted on.

— Mr. Blanchard

Looking Towards the Future

Robichaud is hoping to receive some college football offers. He said, “I’d love to go to a college and find a new home for football and education for my next four more years. You know, Wesleyan and Marist, those are my two top schools. I also have several more in there that are backups, and I’m just looking to be a successful human being in the future.”

Everyone who played or coached Robichaud believes his career is far from over. RMHS football coach and history teacher Mr. Blanchard added that,  “Josh is a kid who loves the game of football and is highly motivated to play at the college level. Currently, Robichaud can bench 405 pounds for 1 rep and squat 530 pounds for 3 reps, which is equivalent to some NFL players and better than most college players. Some would argue this is a coincidence, but for Robichaud, it is all of his hard work coming to fruition.