The Orbit

The Student News Site of Reading Memorial High School

The Orbit

The Orbit

Polls

Which statement best describes your feelings about the return of midyear exams?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Getting Your Driver’s Permit

You Can Start Before You’re 16
Getting Your Drivers Permit

While the process of obtaining your learner’s permit may seem daunting, the process is very simple with some preparation.

Many teens look forward to beginning their driving journey at 16 years old. However, in Massachusetts, before teens can hit the road, they must first obtain a Learner’s Permit.

To obtain a learners permit in Massachusetts teens must schedule an appointment on the RMV website, provide their personal information, and choose an RMV location to visit for instructions on taking an online learner’s permit exam.

This process can be initiated as soon as a teen turns 16, but the process for preparing for this test can begin months in advance. Chris Nelson, Community Education Director for the Reading Public Schools, mentioned, “Students can begin working for their permit at 15 years and 9 months.” When students achieve 15 years and 9 months of age they can begin driver’s education. 

Mr. Nelson said, “If you’re 15 and 9 months and you registered for a driver’s ed class, those classes will also give you the knowledge that you’ll need for that permit test when you’re 16.” Driver’s education programs and classes are made to help students understand the rules of the road, various signs, and regulations, all of which will be tested in the permit exam.

Liam Hannabury, a senior at RMHS, suggested, “Study for your permit test by looking over any notes you took during drivers ed.” There are several ways to prepare for your permit exam. Mr. Nelson said, “Start observing when you’re in the car with your parents driving places about the rules of the road.” The permit test is not meant to be impossible, but rather make sure teens understand and know the various rules they will need to follow when driving. 

In conclusion Mr. Nelson emphasized, “Try not to be worried about it.”

Obtaining a learner’s permit may seem difficult, but by understanding the process and the steps to obtain that permit, all teens can embark on their driving journey at 16 years old.