The Orbit

The Student News Site of Reading Memorial High School

The Orbit

The Orbit

Polls

Which statement best describes your feelings about the return of midyear exams?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Bank Branch Approaches Year Fifteen

Creative Partnership Continues
Abigail Tippett (’24)
The teller’s station at the RMHS branch of the Reading Cooperative Bank is ready for the fall season.

Right under our noses at RMHS is a fully functioning branch of the Reading Cooperative Bank and not many of our students and staff are aware of this convenience.

The school bank has been at our school since 2009, and, interestingly, hidden behind the glass walls is both a place to learn and manage your money.

The RMHS branch of the Reading Cooperative Bank is open to all students and staff. Like any bank, here at the high school you can open an account and make deposits and withdrawals. Reading Cooperative Bank offers many checking and savings accounts as well as the student checking account that is common among fellow students in RMHS due to the absence of fees and no minimum balance.

The learning never stops and I get to meet people I wouldn’t have had the chance to meet outside of this class.

— Audrey Putnam ('25)

Judy Langill is the high school school branch manager and she has worked for Reading Cooperative Bank for nearing three years and she has run five other bank branches inside schools for almost eighteen. She invites students to learn in an environment that replicates an office environment. In the past years students have left her class and gone on to work in a bank due to the hands-on learning environment. When asked about the benefits of the school’s banking class, Audrey Putnam (‘25) stated, “The learning never stops and I get to meet people I wouldn’t have had the chance to meet outside of this class.”

Not only does the offered banking elective allow for a new learning experience within finances but the class holds a special place for many students. Junior Cal Hurley even stated, “I was  surprised by the gratuity and welcomeness of the class.” The school bank allows for convenient access to your money as well as a welcoming environment hidden within the school.