The Orbit

The Student News Site of Reading Memorial High School

The Orbit

The Orbit

Polls

Which statement best describes your feelings about the return of midyear exams?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

A Sturdier Flex Block

New Year Brings New Approach
Caroline Jadul (’24)

Administrators are trying to add more structure to flex block for the ‘23-’24 school year, in hopes of a more successful use of the time. 

Flex blocks are incorporated after the first two blocks every Tuesday and Thursday on a student’s schedule here at RMHS. Every student has an assigned classroom, that is organized alphabetically which consists of peers in the same grade. On the first flex block of the year, flex teachers were to give a presentation that laid out the purpose and expectations for the block. 

The main goal highlighted in that slideshow was for flex block to be a time for students to receive academic assistance. Many students also use flex blocks as studies. Guidance counselors meet with students for a few months out of the school year during flex blocks.  For instance, they set seniors up for college applications and start freshman with the basic information to navigate high school. Many clubs and extracurriculars find the time to meet during these blocks as well.

Lots of seniors have told me that they feel like they are being productive and getting more work done which I really appreciate.

— Ms. Buckley

With the senior privilege last year, students were granted the ability to leave the building throughout the day when they were not scheduled for teacher-led classes. This meant that seniors could leave the building during flex block.

Ms. Buckley, RMHS assistant principal, has helped reorganize flex blocks for this school year. “Flex Blocks were more loose last year I would say, with less expectations which resulted in less kids taking it seriously.” Buckley has already noticed differences when comparing the past year: “Lots of seniors have told me that they feel like they are being productive and getting more work done which I really appreciate.” 

In the slideshow presented to the students, the expectations for flex were listed.

Attendance is taken at every flex block, right at the start of the block. An expectation many students may find is more enforced this year is the use of SmartPasses. A student is not allowed to leave the classroom unless there is a preapproved pass that can be shown to the assigned flex teacher. A schedule of when subject teachers are available to give extra help and meet with students has been presented, with Tuesday being a designated day to get help with Business, Health, Math, History, and World Language. That leaves English, Arts, and Science for Thursday flex blocks. 

Buckley also mentioned, “During flex this year we strategically placed teachers based on departments so that teachers can have common planning time once and a while which allows them to better serve students and to implement lessons that are more targeted to the students that they serve.” 

Senior Abbi Magazzu stated, “I think that I am pretty productive in flex because I don’t have a lot of studies so I use my flexes more effectively.”

Ms. Buckley added, “Lots of things that improve the school can happen during flex so I am excited about it,” having high hopes to utilize the blocks in this ‘23-’24 school year.