The Orbit

The Student News Site of Reading Memorial High School

The Orbit

The Orbit

Polls

Which statement best describes your feelings about the return of midyear exams?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Girls Lax on Fire Early

Hopes High for a Great Season

Just a few weeks into the spring athletic season the RMHS Girls Lacrosse team is already 8-0 and eager to duplicate or improve upon last year’s run to the MIAA final four.

The team, led by coach Rachel Monroe, proved time and time again last season the level of play they were able to perform on the field. Although the team lost a talented class to graduation, there are still many talented players to look out for this season, such as juniors Libby Quinn and Megan Shanahan, and senior captains Autumn Mathews, Caroline Jadul, and Lily Stanton.

State realignment has the Rockets in the MIAA’s Division 2 this year, and with an undefeated record, they are painting a big target on their backs. I met with senior captain Autumn Matthews to discuss her views on the season. “I think we are going to come out strong, and we have.” Not only did the team beat Walpole, a tough competitor, but they also beat Chelmsford, a team who has stood in their way for 9 years. The team played strong and smart, beating Chelmsford 13-8. 

The team does have a challenging schedule playing very talented strong teams. “Based on our schedule–it is on the tougher side and we did drop down to division 2, so NDA is in our division,” Matthews stated, referring to last year’s D2 state champion Notre Dame Academy. 

The RMHS Girls Lacrosse team in action versus Stoneham.

The team is packed with talent but not only are they a very skilled team they are also a very close and well working team. The team values their relationships with their teammates. When asked about why she loves the team so much and what her favorite part is, Matthews shared, “The team environment I’ve always loved, and the coaches create such a fun environment for us as players. It’s very competitive which keeps a lot of people coming back.  The best part about being on a team is that you have 30 friends that you just walk into–it’s just easy.” 

A team needs more than just skill to win a championship. You need perseverance, determination, a good support system and a good team dynamic, and that’s exactly what this team has. “I think that because we had such a great season and we made it to the final four, we have even more of a drive to make it farther to the championship game. We know what it’s like to be that close. Also, a lot of our players who were on the field hockey team who did win the state championship know what it’s like to win and I think a lot of us want that feeling, and we know that it’s possible.”

The Rockets next game is at home this Friday, April 26 at 4:00 vs. Lexington.