The Orbit

The Student News Site of Reading Memorial High School

The Orbit

The Orbit

Polls

Which statement best describes your feelings about the return of midyear exams?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

PSAT to Run at RMHS on October 18

What to know!
PSAT to Run at RMHS on October 18

The PSAT, or the Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test, will be taking place Wednesday, October 18th right here at RMHS.

The PSAT is a national standardized test administered to students country-wide. The exam is designed for 10th and 11th graders, but freshmen are not prohibited from taking it. The PSAT consists of reading, writing, and mathematics sections meant to both assess students’ college readiness and to prepare them for the SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test) exam. The PSAT is scheduled to take three hours and eighteen minutes. Students are to report to their pre-assigned testing rooms by 8:30. The test will end at 11:48. Students not taking the PSATs on October 18 will have a delayed start to school that day. 

The most typical question format on the PSAT is multiple choice, though in certain cases, especially in the math section, some questions are open responses. During the reading portion, students are to pick the most appropriate answer choice given based on the passage(s) provided. This part may include excerpts from literature, historical documents, social sciences, or natural sciences. This section is meant to test students on their reading comprehension, contextual vocabulary, and analytical skills.

There are many benefits to taking the PSAT, but perhaps the most lucrative of them is the possibility of winning scholarship money for college. For Juniors, the PSATs are the qualifying exam for the National Merit Scholarship, and as such they serve as an important stepping stone to future financial aid and merit programs. About 50,000 students nationwide are recognized by the Nation Merit Program for academic success, and even fewer make it to the final rounds of the rigorous academic competition. If a student scores high enough on the PSAT, they may become a semifinalist, where they will have to affirm their high PSAT score through the SAT and ACTs. Sophomores who wish to enter the Nation Merit Scholar competition will have to retake the PSATs in their Junior year. The exams are more than just a gateway to possible scholarships, however. As Ms. Buckley, the assistant principal to the ninth and eleventh grades phrases it: “Taking your PSATs is a trial run for high-stakes tests like the SATs. [The test] can open up a lot of doors [… specifically the ability] to take AP level classes, attend four-year colleges, and enhance your after-graduation experiences.”

Taking your PSATs…can open up a lot of doors.

— Ms. Buckley

Covid ushered in an era of modernization and educational accessibility for all students. As such, there are a few changes to the PSATs this year. To start, the exam is being offered in a digital and adaptive format, which is a significantly more efficient way to take a test. As previously mentioned, the test is also held at the high school during the school day. The goal of this is to increase the availability of these tests and to give students the opportunity to familiarize themselves with the digital testing experience before taking the SATs. 

Another change to the PSATs is the cultural shift in the importance of standardized tests. More and more colleges are not requiring SAT or ACT scores on their applications anymore, and these scores seem to hold less weight in the acceptance process than they once did. But, even though the SATs may not be the deciding factor for college admission anymore, they can still play an important role in building a strong application and can affect your high school career and thus your college search.

Although the PSATs may seem like just another stressful, nerve-racking test, it is important to remember that that is all they are – a test. The night before students take the exam, they should mentally prepare themselves for the next morning. Stressing over the exam is the worst thing to do. Unnecessary worrying will only make the questions feel more difficult. Studies have shown that the best course of action in a moment of nervousness is to breathe deeply and focus on one’s surroundings. Make sure you get a good night’s sleep and eat a big breakfast beforehand. This will help you go into the next day primed for success!

Good luck to all taking the exam!