AP Test Prep In The Time of COVID-19

Testing Format Changes In Response to Corona Virus

Kylie McKenna ('21)

Even though it has only been 4 months, 2020 has been a whirlwind of surprises. This being said, due to the COVID-19 outbreak, it has called for many changes in our daily lives, including our schooling. Reading Public Schools, as well as all of the schools in the state of Massachusetts, have been shut down until May 4th. This means that students are missing out on many necessary learning opportunities, a significant one being review for AP tests that are coming in May.

To adjust to these unprecedented times, the College Board has made changes to testing this year. Instead of taking a 2-3 hour test, students will now take the test in the comfort of their own home, in the span of 45 minutes. This has never happened before, and it may leave many students worried and anxious, more than they were before.

However, not to fear, this article will include some tips in order to help all students study before their AP test.

Tip 1: Go to AP Classroom, and take practice quizzes

Most if not all teachers have signed their students up at the beginning of the school year to AP classroom. Within this website, they provide students with many practice questions to help them review! It is very helpful and many students should consider it. Also, make sure that when one signs in, make sure to study all material as well as specifically hone in on certain questions that students will see on the test. More info regarding that topic will be coming soon in the next few weeks of April.

Tip 2: Take practice quizzes and time yourself

Similar to the SAT practice quizzes that can be found on Khan Academy, take practice quizzes to test how prepared you are. There are many websites that can be found to guide you if one were to look up practice tests for a specific subject.

Tip 3: Review old tests!

It is very beneficial to review old tests that one may have already taken as it has correct answers and an abundance of questions that will be similar to the actual test.

Tip 4: Relax. You’re going to do great!

The worst thing that you can do in preparation for the AP test is stress out. There will be no benefits if you can’t concentrate due to high anxiety levels. So, try practicing some relaxation methods that you can do while taking the test. A method that my English teacher taught us is the four square breathing method. Which has proven to help slow your breathing rate and calm down. Breathe in for four seconds, hold for four, let go for four, hold for four and repeat.

I hope this helped anyone taking the AP tests in May. Be sure to study and everything will work itself out.