The Orbit

The Student News Site of Reading Memorial High School

The Orbit

The Orbit

Polls

Which statement best describes your feelings about the return of midyear exams?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

RMHS To Honor Local Veterans

Flex Block Assembly on November 9

The RMHS Student Council, with the help of Reading Veterans Service Officer William Valliere, is busy planning their annual assembly to honor veterans that will be held on Thursday, November 9th during flex block in the PAC.

The Veteran’s Day Assembly has been a tradition at RMHS for over thirty years. The program consists of speeches from local veterans including Bill Brown, a United States Air Force veteran, who served during the Korean War, who has spoken at this event many times. In addition, members of the student council will be reciting poems to commemorate and honor the holiday. Students from the RMHS marching band will also be in attendance to play “Taps” which is a call to remember those who gave their lives in the service of the United States.

RMHS Special Education Teacher and Student Council Advisor, Mrs. Cestrone talked about the benefits that come from holding the assembly. “So I think that the students will benefit. I also think that the veterans that come in and talk, they benefit from it because they get to share their story. Some of them feel like they served so long ago that people don’t care about their story. But when they come in for the assembly and see how the students react, they realize that people look up to them.”

Senior Jacqueline Berner, the Student Council President, gave a behind the scenes look of who is participating in this assembly.  “Student council runs it. So we’ll have a few student council representatives, announcing names and saying a few poems. And then we have the head of Reading Veteran Services, Mr. Valliere and Bill Brown, who is a local veteran. He speaks every single year.” She also talked about how important this assembly is for honoring our Veterans. “I feel like it’s a really good way to honor the local veterans, and they’re so appreciative. And just to show that people in our community truly care about what they did for us, especially students here.” 

All students are encouraged to attend the assembly during FLEX  and show support for the town’s own veterans.

View Comments (1)