The Orbit

The Student News Site of Reading Memorial High School

The Orbit

The Orbit

Polls

Which statement best describes your feelings about the return of midyear exams?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Innovation Pathways Program Has Arrived

New Program Provides Career Focus

Ninth and tenth grade students at Reading Memorial High School have the opportunity to enroll in the Innovation Career Pathways program which will help them pursue futures in the science or mathematics fields. 

Innovation Pathways is an option for freshmen and sophomore students. It operates within the regular curriculum and puts them on a clear pathway to finding a career they could fall in love with. Mrs. Callanan, the Director of Academic Achievement and interim principal, helped get Innovation Pathways started last year as a way to supplement already existing courses at RMHS. She said, “Many courses we already offered here. I kind of designed it that way on purpose so that kids could fulfill requirements, business requirements, or science and things like that, as part of the pathway, instead of in addition to other classes you already had to take.” The school has received funding to pay for these classes from the state. Mrs. Callanan reported there was, “…$125,000 that we brought in through grants to support this. Each year, there’s a $50,000 grant that you get to continue to support it. And then we’re looking to expand and add one  in clean energy next year, and healthcare and social sciences.”

…this can launch them forward into a degree program at a college, or an internship at a company, or anything in between.

— Mr. McGowan

The funding represents a significant investment in student learning. With the opportunities given to the students at the beginning of high school, they may be able to get internships at companies that may take an interest in them while providing them with relevant experience. RMHS mathematics teacher Mr. McGowan added, “The whole idea is to get students to take courses that are relevant in what they might choose to be their career going forward. And this can launch them forward into a degree program at a college, or an internship at a company, or anything in between.” 

Freshman Jonathan DePalma, who is a participant in Innovation Pathways said, “I like that there are high-level courses available as you work your way up. I also like that there are special learning opportunities available, like field trips, internships, and hands-on activities.” Freshman Quinn Kane, who is also involved in the program, stated, “My experience in the Graphic Design and Animation Pathway has been very fun… Right now, we are working on a Typography Self Portrait, where we make a portrait that uses letters, numbers, and symbols in different typefaces to make ourselves. Overall, a very fun experience.” 

Innovation Pathways  allows students to explore career paths they are interested in after high school. It’s a way for students to explore their interests and get hands-on experience before deciding on a college major or pursuing a degree.