The Orbit

The Student News Site of Reading Memorial High School

The Orbit

The Orbit

Polls

Which statement best describes your feelings about the return of midyear exams?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Class Elections October 3

Grades 9-11 will vote
William Xia (’21)
The RMHS main parking lot, usually full on a school day, has plenty of open spaces during hybrid learning.

The Student Council will be running the class elections for the first time this year. Elections will be held on Tuesday, October 3rd for the freshman, sophomore, and junior classes. Class officers give students representation in school events, fundraising, and grade-wide policy. Candidates will introduce their platforms via pre-recorded videos. QR codes for these speeches and voting will be sent to students on Tuesday morning, though there will also be a class election table set up at all 3 lunches to encourage voting.

Class offices are open to all students; that is, anyone who wishes to campaign is welcome to. There is a wide selection of positions, ranging from social chair and photographer to president, vice president, secretary, and treasurer. Elections are run by each grade’s two class officers. The freshman class advisors are Mr. Skeffington and Mr. Mahoney. The sophomore class officers are Ms. Santa Maria and Ms. Rondeau, while the junior class officers are Ms. Clawson and Ms. Greenbaum.

Seniors are not holding class-wide elections. The pre-existing members within the former junior class office all voted to keep their same positions. The Senior Class President is Bridget Patterson, the Vice President is Kaelin Higgins, the Secretaries are Dajia Forero and Hanna Goodhue, and the Treasurer is Emily Goodhue.

The class president is the chief executive of the class office and leads fellow students and class officers by example. Their job is to work to resolve problems within the student body, coordinate events, act appropriately, and communicate regularly with other officers to ensure that everyone is fulfilling their responsibilities. They may also appoint assistant(s) for any and all projects and events. The vice president assists the president and typically steps into the leading role when the real president is absent or unavailable. The treasurer establishes a budget, records all financial transactions, handles and keeps track of the money in the class account, and collects and deposits fundraising money, while the secretaries serve as notetakers.

Taking on a class office position is a huge undertaking. Show your support for your fellow classmates by filling out your grade’s designated Google Form ballot on election day. Let your voice be heard – the more people who vote the better!