Junior Class to Sponsor 5K Race

First “Walk-it Like You Rock-et 5K” on May 6

Olivia Johnson ('23), Orbit Contributor

On Saturday, May 6, RMHS will host the first Walk-it Like You Rock-et 5k Race to raise money for the class of ‘24. 

The race will begin at 9 on the morning of Saturday, May 6th. It will be a local route, starting and ending at Reading’s Burbank YMCA. It will cost $25 to register for the race, and all proceeds will benefit the junior class. Sign ups will open at the end of March and will stay open until race day. 

The idea for the race was brought to the table by Junior Class President, Bridget Patterson. The race will be a fundraiser for the current junior class’s senior year festivities, such as Prom. Bridget explained, “We believe that it will be a cool and unique way to raise money, as it unites the community over a fun morning. This way, everyone can benefit, not just the junior class.” Assistant Principal Buckley aims for this to become an annual event, so that future classes can raise money to enhance their senior year activities as well.

From walkers to runners, everyone is welcome.

— Kaelin Higgins ('24)

In addition to raising money, the race is expected to benefit the overall well-being of the RMHS community. Ms. Buckley stated, “We know that exercising burns endorphins and makes people feel happy; an event like this can really help to bring the community together in a positive way.” In an effort to boost excitement and raise the stakes, prizes will be awarded to the first and second place winners of each age group.

Ms. Buckley is urging everyone to participate. She explained, “Everyone in the community can participate. We are really hoping for a huge turnout from students, their families, and community members.” Kaelin Higgins, a ‘24 class office member, acknowledges that a 5k race can seem intimidating. She stated, “We are expecting a wide range of abilities among racers. From walkers to runners, everyone is welcome.”

During and after the race, games and activities will be offered on one of the RMHS turfs. To amplify school spirit at the race, participants, volunteers, and spectators are encouraged to wear reading-gear to show off their rocket pride.