RMHS Hosts SATs

Alice Lin ('22)

Students gather in the RMHS lobby before starting the SAT.

Alice Lin (‘22), Orbit Contributor

On Saturday, October 2 one of the test centers for the SAT was RMHS, where numerous students from Reading and other towns came to spend a nerve-wrecking Saturday morning. 

As a result of COVID-19, the SAT was counted as optional for about 1600 colleges in the United States for the class of 2021 and 2022. Yet, numerous students decided to take on the challenge and take the SAT. 

The SAT started at 8 o’clock on October 2nd. Students were required to arrive early  because once the testing starts, late arrivals are not permitted. At RMHS, the main door was the only entrance to get in. Many guidance counselors and teachers arrived bright and early to help prepare the SAT exams for the students. However, there was someone else who arrived before the guidance counselors and the students. 

His name is Joseph La Vita, a custodian at RMHS. He was standing near the main entrance greeting guidance counselors and students as they arrived early to school. Mr. La Vita shared that he arrived at RMHS at 6 am to open the school’s doors and the doors to all of the classrooms. He had to stay at school until 2 pm, which is after the students finish taking their SAT so he can clean up. Our custodians at RMHS really put in a lot of time and work to keep our school clean. So thank you all so much. 

Right before testing started, some students were feeling nervous, while some were not. Everyone had to wait near the main office. George Speros, a senior at RMHS shared, “I’ve done so many of these exams at this point I feel indifferent because I’ve done it so many times. I’m not nervous but when I get in the room, I will probably be nervous.” 

During testing, each classroom was quiet and students were all very focused on doing their best at answering the questions. There were breaks given between certain sections of the SAT so students could have a quick snack break and let their bodies relax for a little bit. At 7:45 am, students were allowed to head to the classroom they were assigned to take the SAT. The exact time that students started taking the SAT varied, depending on the supervisor of their classroom, but everyone started the actual testing around 8:30 am. 

After about three hours of testing, students were finally done taking the SAT. Students were allowed to leave after the time was up. The students left around 11:40 am to 12:30 pm, depending on the time given for their mini breaks. 

Students had mixed feelings after they finished testing, but most students probably felt relieved. Carolyn Xu, another senior at RMHS shared, “I feel relieved and I don’t need to take it again. However, I will probably be nervous again when the scores come out.”

Just a quick reminder to the students, “Congratulations for finishing the SAT!” Don’t be too stressed, you tried your best and scores don’t mean everything. The scores don’t define who you are, you are the one that determines who you are.