Drama Club To Take Musical Outdoors

9 to 5 Coming This Spring

Katherine Growney ('21), Orbit Contributor

After a year of strict COVID guidelines sidelining the performers and forcing shows to be online, the RMHS Drama Club has finally begun rehearsals for the spring musical, “9 to 5”.

Normally, the Drama Club performs a musical in the fall, but, due to strict safety guidelines regarding the pandemic, they were forced to postpone the musical to the spring. 

The spring musical, “9 to 5” is a cult classic musical that follows the women of an office who have had enough of their rude boss. The starring roles of Violet, Doralee, and Judy will be held by seniors Elizabeth Lattanzi, Tessa Goldlust, and Gracyn Rafuse, respectively. The show will be directed by RMHS teacher Ms. Cunha, and assistant directed by senior Brooke Beaulieu.

Rehearsals have been underway for about a week now, and the cast is hard at work learning the music and developing their characters. The club is rehearsing using a hybrid model so that they can learn the dance numbers and blocking while still maintaining social distancing. 

In order to maintain appropriate social distancing and follow all the COVID safety guidelines, Ms. Cunha had to put together a much smaller cast and crew than usual, as well as make some cuts to the original script. However, the students are all very excited about the upcoming season. Senior Joanna Coram said, “I’m so excited to be able to perform in 9 to 5 for my final show with the Drama Club. I wasn’t counting on being able to even have in-person rehearsals, but I’m so happy that it worked out and we are finally able to meet together.”

The club is planning to perform the musical in person, on an outdoor stage. The show dates are tentatively set for the first weekend of May, and a limited number of tickets may be available. More information will be released as the show approaches.